government

HIV grants will provide more primary care

NEWS IN BRIEF — Posted April 12, 2010

Print  |   Email  |   Respond  |   Reprints  |   Like Facebook  |   Share Twitter  |   Tweet Linkedin

The Dept. of Health and Human Services is releasing more than $1.84 billion in grants to ensure that people living with HIV/AIDS continue to have access to life-saving health care services and medications.

About $800 million of the sum is designated for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program. A total of $652 million will pay for primary care and support services for individuals with HIV/AIDS, including money for the Minority AIDS Initiative. Nearly $50 million in grants will go toward community-based early intervention services and case managers to support medical, nutritional, psychosocial and other primary care treatments for HIV-positive patients. The grants were announced April 5.

HHS said 75% of all funds must be spent on core medical services. The remaining 25% can pay for support services to help people living with HIV/AIDS, including respite care, medical transportation and linguistic services.

Note: This item originally appeared at http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/04/12/gvbf0412.htm.

Back to top


ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISE HERE


Featured
Read story

Confronting bias against obese patients

Medical educators are starting to raise awareness about how weight-related stigma can impair patient-physician communication and the treatment of obesity. Read story


Read story

Goodbye

American Medical News is ceasing publication after 55 years of serving physicians by keeping them informed of their rapidly changing profession. Read story


Read story

Policing medical practice employees after work

Doctors can try to regulate staff actions outside the office, but they must watch what they try to stamp out and how they do it. Read story


Read story

Diabetes prevention: Set on a course for lifestyle change

The YMCA's evidence-based program is helping prediabetic patients eat right, get active and lose weight. Read story


Read story

Medicaid's muddled preventive care picture

The health system reform law promises no-cost coverage of a lengthy list of screenings and other prevention services, but some beneficiaries still might miss out. Read story


Read story

How to get tax breaks for your medical practice

Federal, state and local governments offer doctors incentives because practices are recognized as economic engines. But physicians must know how and where to find them. Read story


Read story

Advance pay ACOs: A down payment on Medicare's future

Accountable care organizations that pay doctors up-front bring practice improvements, but it's unclear yet if program actuaries will see a return on investment. Read story


Read story

Physician liability: Your team, your legal risk

When health care team members drop the ball, it's often doctors who end up in court. How can physicians improve such care and avoid risks? Read story

  • Stay informed
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • RSS
  • LinkedIn